Tax Director - Sales/Use
Director Operating Tax
Direct and supervise sales/use tax and unclaimed property planning, compliance and audit functions. Lead process improvement to ensure the collection, remittance and accounting for sales/use tax is accurate and efficient.
ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop sales/use tax planning ideas and drive implementation.
- Lead the determination of taxability of sku’s so amounts charged at the register are accurate and in accordance with individual state and local laws, and minimize audit assessments.
- Drive changes/improvements as discovered or developed to minimize risk and improve sales/use tax compliance.
- Recommend cost effective ways to improve the sales/use tax and unclaimed property processes. Constantly seek ways to improve these processes.
- Ensure sales/use tax implications of major corporate projects and initiatives are addressed and implemented. Regularly communicate status of projects to management.
- Lead sales/use tax compliance, including returns, payments and account reconciliations. Ensure sales/use tax is effectively and accurately collected, remitted and accounted. Ensure unclaimed property compliance is accurately and timely filed and reconciled. Lead the research of the unclaimed property items to minimize the amounts needed to be escheated to states.
- Lead sales/use tax and unclaimed property audits. Discuss and negotiate audit issues with state auditors to minimize assessments. Must be able to manage multiple audits simultaneously. Initiate recommendations to improve documentation and other means to make audits more streamline and efficient.
- Lead, motivate, & professionally develop tax department staff
- Assist in communicating the company’s sales/use tax posture to top management.
- Maintain internal controls documentation as required under Sarbanes Oxley
- Identify issues and opportunities for the company. Then develop plans and implement strategies to add value to the company.
- Minimum 10 yrs. Operating Tax
- Prior experience managing and leading teams
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA, BS, or BFA)
Preferred Specialized Experience, Education, and Training
- Tax Compliance Software
- Master’s in Accounting or Taxation
- Big 4
- ASC 450
Certificates, Licenses or Registration
- CPA, CMI, or JD Required
- Interpersonal, Verbal and Written
Must be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, as defined by the CDC, by the date of hire. Proof of vaccination required. Request for medical or religious accommodation must be made prior to the start date